Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Because It's Me... lol

Hi all! So later today we are going to the Fuji TV station which will be a lot of fun :) However I must share my train experience yesterday, and this could only happen to me because its me and I just attract these kinds of stories.

So I'm sitting on the train la de da minding my own business when this guy gets on. I'd put him at like 55 or so but all Asians look WAY younger to me than they do so who knows. The train was pretty empty and I noticed him because he was wearing funky glasses, had red highlights, and like a beatles but longer bob haircut. Hence I noticed him but tried hard not to stare. WELLLLL he sat down directly across from me, facing me and whipped out a notebook and pen. Whatever no big deal right? WRONG HE STARTING DRAWING ME. I was thinking oh wait maybe I'm just being a paranoid foreigner but he would glance at me, sketch a little, glance again like REALLY obvious not even trying to hide it. So I'm getting really uncomfortable and not making eye contact and praying he gets off at the next stop since I have 3 more to go, of course. And of course again, he doesnt get off.

Yep it gets better. So the last stop before mine this announcement comes on in Japanese so I have no idea what it said. But at the last stop before mine, everyone gets off the train. Now there's like 7 people in my car so everyone getting off isnt a huge deal as I continue to sit. Well creepy sketch artist makes a motion like come on, get off the train. I go "ee-yeah" which is Japanese for no cause I'm NOT getting off with creepy guy. Uh lol the announcement was everyone get off the train this is the last stop for this train another one is coming in 5 minutes. Fantastic. Stupid foreigner, right here. So I get off looking really really dumb and am like sorry to the creepy guy. Side note: Japanese personal bubble is bigger than American personal bubble. So as I'm standing there waiting for the next train this guy stands so close that his right arm is almost touching my left arm. And he asks if I speak English (because after all its written in bold on my forehead). I say yes and then he asks what I'm in Japan for. I say visiting cause hes creeping me out big time. He says Oh with your husband? I go No (in my head like CRAP i should have said yes) with a quick recovery of "with family". So hes small talking and whips out his sketching of me (terrible) and is like oh I drew you. I nod and am like uh thanks. Then he asks which station is mine which I had to say because he would have figured it out one way or another and he goes ohhh are you near the station? where do you live? Now I'm tweaking. LOL I just go "pretty close" and then I think he got the message cause he sorta stopped talking after that. I was so positive he was gonna follow me off the train but once I got to my exit gate and I saw he stayed on the train and didn't follow me out I burst out laughing with relief. Then I was the stupid foreigner laughing at herself. It was so funny though afterwards and I told Yoshiko my host mom and she laughed really hard too. Go Figure Right?! Only to me.

Aside from that I had a long chat with Yugi host dad about movie stars and sports last night which was amazing and I guess after I went to bed he was like "Lets get another exchange student" to my host mom :) My host family is fantastic and I would LOVE to visit them again after the twins are born. Alright super long blog entry but I had to share my story because how could I not. Love you all and keep sending me messages!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure that's the best Sam story to date. When you get back there must be a reenactment (it's only fair afterall, I reenacted my embarassing library story, heeh).

Chips :-)

Unknown said...

LOL wow hon im glad your ok. creepy artists ;-). its bad, ive had to sketch strangers too but i never made small talk. we didnt interact at all. please please be careful, miss you tons, dave